How is it possible that Thomas is already two months old? I guess time flies when you're having fun. Or when you're really tired and struggling to keep to small children happy!
I thought I'd write a little post just about Thomas. He deserves that, right? Here's what we've learned about him so far in our relatively short time with him.
- He may have colic. This is something we've just recently realized but looking back, it definitely makes sense. Since colic is a behavioral diagnosis, it's hard to say for sure. But if we go by the general colic symptoms - crying for at least three hours a day for at least three days a week for three weeks in a row - then we definitely meet the criteria. His toughest time of day is definitely in the evenings between his 6pm and 9pm bottles, which also lines up with colic symptoms. He usually has at least one episode during the day as well where he just can't be comforted. Now that the lightbulb has gone off that this may be what's going on, we've been able to do some research and hope to at least help it a little. We've switched bottles and are adding a probiotic in the mornings. Only time will tell if they work. Fingers crossed that Thomas is one of the babies that's over colic by three months!
- When he's not crying, he's the sweetest little guy! Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I can usually get him to give a smile or two. He loves to be kissed on the mouth!
- He also loves to be talked to. Like, all the time. I find myself narrating the most boring things all day long just to keep him happy. "Now I'm putting on eye shadow. This color is grey." "Let's do laundry! Yay!" "Lolli is so silly, isn't she?"
- One of his biggest loves is his big sister! (The feeling is mutual.) Often times at night after she's had her bath, we all climb on our bed to read or snuggle. She loves to play in our throw pillows. She bounces and climbs all around him and he just smiles and coos. Even when she's shouting and being loud, he's pretty happy to have her around.
- A perfect day for Thomas would consist of being held all day long outside when it's not too hot. He loves this nice weather we've been having (don't we all?) and prefers to be held - all. the. time.
- Right now he's eating between 4 and 5 ounces every three hours, except during the night. He generally sleeps from around 9:30pm til 6:00am, which we totally love him for. If I had to guess, I'd say he weighs between 11 and 12 pounds. We'll find out for sure in a couple weeks when he has his checkup (and first round of shots - boo!).
- His eyes are the prettiest shade of blue and I really hope they stay that way. His hair is looking awfully red. Not orange-red, more of a brown-red. His skin is fair and he's already had his first sunburn (I know, mother of the year right here - I honestly don't know how it happened because I always keep him in the shade).
- He doesn't love his paci quite as much as his sister does, but we're working on it. I love having something to give him to soothe him so I'd like for him to get attached to it!
- Like Katie Wynn did, he sleeps swaddled up tight at night. He seems to be ahead of her, though, on trying to break out of it. Just this morning I found him with one arm and one leg completely out of it. She didn't do that til about 4 months!
- Even though he's only been with us for 2 short months, he has already won over our hearts and found his spot right in our family. He makes our family complete and we love him big!